Skip to main content

The World Cup Finals

After reading an article from Goal.com I realised something, the World Cup finals is just like an Champions League Finals! Let me elaborate:

Looking at the players, I realised most of them are graduates from the famed academy of Ajax Amsterdam and FC Barcelona. Throughout the years Ajax have produced talents like Johan Cruyff, Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Kluivert and Frank De Boer to name a few. In the current Holland squad there are Stekelenburg (who currently plays for Ajax), Van Der Wiel, Heitinga, Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Huntelaar, Elia, De Jong and Babel. Although most of them are now playing for different clubs, they have all graduated from Ajax. Therefore, it is like an reunion to them.

Whereas Spain has players mostly from Barcelona. Also most of the players in the squad are Catalans, not Spanish. Those who graduated from the Barcelona academy are: Victor Valdes, Carles Puyol, Gerrard Pique, Sergio Busquets, Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta, Cesc Fabregas and Pedro Rodriguez. Another Catalans is Juan Capdevilla the left back of Villareal. Even the World Cup top scorer is an Barcelona player in David Villa.

Now the difference between the two sides is that the current Spanish side has bigger Barcelona influence because they still all play in the same club. In the match against Germany there were 7 starters who are from Barcelona plus Casilas, Sergio Ramos, Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid) and Juan Capdevilla (Villareal). Because they still play together this make them know their teammates better than those who have separated to play for different clubs.

Key Players to watch in the finals:

Xavi Hernandez (Spain): This player is the maestro of Barcelona and Spain. He is essentially pulling the strings of his team mates. His key abilities include quick thinking, very accurate passing, excellent vision, ability to keep the ball well, deadly on dead balls situation. He could even have a pop from outside the penalty box when the opportunity arises. Although he hasn't scored yet, Xavi has always perform well in all the matches he plays. On average the passing that he made is around 100 passes. On club level he has won anything any footballer ever dreamed of. Minus the personal recognition. A candidate for Balloon d' Or. It is said to stop Spain/Barcelona one needs to stop Xavi..

Wesley Sneijder (Holland): 2010 is the year of Sneijder. Well, almost. Dumped by Real Madrid, Sneijder showed his class by winning a treble for his new club, Inter Milan. He is the current playmaker for both Inter and Holland. All attacks have to go through him. He is a bit similar with Xavi however his position is more advanced, allowing him to score some goals as well. With David Villa, he is the current top scorer in the tournament. Deadly on the free kicks as well. 2010 would've been the year of Sneijder indeed if he won the World Cup.

Favorites to win the World Cup? I've always thought it's gonna be Spain right from the start. Even when they lost the opening game. I believe the current Spain squad, which are the reigning European Champions are just too strong for the young solid Holland squad.

My prediction? Spain 2 - Holland 0.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Changed My Mind About Clash of the Titans

First, I would like to make an apology. To the filmmakers of the remake of Clash of the Titans. I think I may have a hand on spreading a bad word about the movie. It turns out I know the real reason why I didn't like the movie. It was all about religion. And I will explain. As some of you know, I'm having my crisis of faith right now. I began believeing that "Is there such a thing as a perfect person? No one is perfect. People have flaws.." So, I chose to defy my Gods. Now what is the connection between Clash of the Titans? Here's why, first I was still pissed off that they changed the story around. It was suppose to be the adventures of Perseus winning Andromeda's hand in marriage, while battling monsters such as the Gorgon Medusa and a Sea Monster. In the movie, however. It was a personal battle against Perseus and a God. He was Hades. In real life Hades is a neutral figure. Now I understood the message of the movie. Perseus chose to defy the Gods with all

John Lennon is a Genius, a Visionary

I always loved John Lennon. A little backstory about him: He was one of the main song writers for the most popular 'little ol' band in the world in The Beatles. His main songwriting partner was Paul McCartney. Even as a child I always loved Lennon's writings. While McCartney's I felt mostly wrote ballad, or love songs for the ladies (however I love Hey Jude). After quitting the Beatles, I thought Lennon has gone insane. He became a bold person, he speaks nonsense mostly, I didn't understand it. Until today.. I TOTALLY gets what he meant now. I understand that he was suppressing all his feelings and then when he quit the Beatles finally, he let it all out. I'm going to show you his brilliant songs to understand what He and I think alike about. Enjoy the lyrics from the great mind of John Lennon. If you want you could hear the tune from Youtube while reading the lyrics. That's just how I roll, baby. Imagine by John Lennon Imagine there's no Heaven It's

Interesting Revelations

By: Albertus Rai Gunawan Putra He is one of the smartest guy I know. We had so many discussions together. Here are the transcript of one of our interesting topic of conversations. I merely wants to encourage him to start writing again. Here's how it goes: Imagine you have a company that heavily taxed by gov.. and you refused to give up and still in business of course you have to make profitt and that profit could not be lower because of the tax.. otherwise your investors will run right? so common sense kicks in... gov should not taxed tobacco heavily.. it just makes things worse.. either taxed accordingly or banned completely.. right 5:19pm Albertus reduce cost.. how to reduce a cost where most of the productions are already handled by robots anyway.. 5:19pm Me you should put this in your blog 5:19pm Albertus you need to use a cheaper tobacco right.. you can put it in your blog.. but... a cheaper tobacco wil not give the same flavour.. so you will add chemicals to cre